Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
St Kilda VIC - Christ Church Anglican

20749

State: Victoria
Denomination:

Anglican

Address:

14 Ackland St St Kilda

GPS: -37.863753, 144.975261 

 

History and Architanure:

A temporary wood & brick church was also built early 1850s. Construction of the current church commenced in November 1854. The foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1854. The first sections of the church were designed by Melbourne Diocesan architects Albert Purchas & Charles Swyer and were built between 1854 and 1857.

The original material used to constrct the church was a rarely-used sandstone from Point King, Sorrento. After completion some of the stone was seen to be deteriorating and had to be replaced. The church was consecrated in 1863.

The church has many historical stained glass windows created by Ferguson & Urie.

Organ:

The Organ was built by Hill & Son, of London.

Clergy*:

Explanations

1866 - 1904 Rev J.S. Low
1904 - 1912 Canon W.G. Sadlier
1912 - 1934 Rev G. Pennocott
1934 - 1940 Canon F.E.C. Crotty
1940 - 1947 Rev E,J.B. White
1947 - 1971 Rev C. Woodhouse
1971 - 1977 Rev P.H. Salvin
1977 - 1998 Rev P. Hutchinson
1998 Rev J. Michin
   
   

* The list may not contain all serving Clergy.

 

Contributions:  
Extracts:  






 

St Kilda VIC - Christ Church Anglican
IMAGE