Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Barton ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

40001

State: Australian Capital Territory
Denomination: Presbyterian
Address: Corner State Circle and Canberra Avenue Barton
GPS: -35.311273,149.127796

 

 

History and Architecture:

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency the Governor General Lord Stonehaven D.S.O.

The Church was opened on 22 September 1934, on a site of approximately 5 acres.

A chime of bells was installed in the tower in 1968, and the Peace Nave completed in 1979. The Manse (residence) was opened in 1928, and stage 1 of the church hall in 1954. An extensive conservation and restoration program began in 1991.

Organ:

The original St. Andrew's organ was built in 1933 in the Melbourne works of Hill, Norman & Beard (Aust) Pty. Ltd. and incorporated part of a demonstration "Christie" Unit Organ. The organ was installed in 1934 and its electro-pneumatic action was one of the first of its type in Australia.

In 1961 a new electric stop key console was installed. In 1964 it was decided to modernise and redesign the organ, both tonally and mechanically, and to divide it into two elevated organ chambers in the Choir transept. The contract for the work was awarded to the original builders, Hill, Norman & Beard (Aust) Pty. Ltd.

Clergy*:

No information available

 

* The list may not contain all Clergy who served this Church

Barton ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian
IMAGE

2010