Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Burra SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

30261

State: South Australia
Denomination: Methodist
Address:

Ludgvan Street Burra

GPS: -33.671122,138.929776 

 

 

History and Architecture:

Redruth first appeared in the quarterly minute book on 24 June 1851.  No members are listed and the income was 5/4.  Three months later there were 4 members and the circuit income was £1-6-6.  In February 1851 the Kooringa trustees had begun to build a church opposite the police station and £1-17-10 was collected at the laying of the corner stone.  The church cost £228.  £98 was raised by subscription and the Government gave £130.  Soon almost all the men went to the Victorian gold fields and for a while services continued for the women and children, but in 1854 the church was dismantled and the roof, floor, windows, doors, pulpit and seats were used for the Spring Farm Church in the Clare District.  Redruth disappeared from the Burra Circuit.

In 1857 the Kooringa trustees restored the Redruth Church.  Their own church had been enlarged and they utilised the old windows, pulpit and part of the roof in the new church at Redruth.  £20 was raised and £130 borrowed at 10%.  By 1863 the debt stood at £108.  In 1865 £40 was spent on renovation and in 1874 the debt was £84.  In that year the present church was erected.

The Church was opened in 1874. The Nave was built in 1874 and what is now the Transept was added the following year for the Sunday School. The Vestry was added in 1883.

The Church was closed in 1970 when it was decided to amalgamate the Redruth and the Kooringa congregations to The Kooringa Methodist Church.  Prior to it being sold by the Uniting Church of Australia in the early 2000’s it was part of the Youth Camp and Conference Centre that encompassed the Church, the Sunday School next door and the Courthouse Hotel across the road.

Today the church is privately owned offering accommodation.

Organ:

No information currently available.

Clergy*:

Explanations

1853 - 1854

Rev Robert Flockhart

   

1856 - 1866

Rev Charles Penney

   
1887 Rev J.H. Hadley
   
   
1939 Rev J.A. Andrews
1944 Rev J.P.H. Tilbrook
1953 Rev R.D. Vawser
   
   

* The list may not contain all serving Clergy

Contributions:

Extract : Historic Sketch by W.F. James

Burra SA - Redruth Methodist (former)
IMAGE

2011