Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

20537

State: Victoria
Denomination: Presbyterian
Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets Balaclava North
GPS: -37.871008, 144.999186

History and Architecture:

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.*

At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management of St. George's, East St. Kilda, took an active interest in the matter, and through his liberal assistance arrangements were made for the purchase of the present site at the corner of Hotham Street and Denman Avenue, measuring 137 feet by 207 feet, at a cost of £1208.*

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 August 1953 by the Reverend Principal H McLean D.D. The Architect was K Murray Forster and the builder was R.E. Gyngell.

Organ:

No information currently available.

Clergy*:

Explanations

PeriodClergyComment
* The list may not contain all serving Clergy.
1917 - 1924 Rev G. CARSON  
1924 - 1930 Rev E. SWANN  
1930 - 1935 Rev F. CHISHOLM  
1936 - 1947 Rev A. MARTIN  
1947 - 1958 Rev J. SYMINGTON  
1959 - Rev A.T. STEVENS  
2011 - Rev Bob THOMAS  
Contributions:  
Extract: St Margaret's Presbyterian Church 1916 - 1966 Jubilee. LTP 285.294511 B18S
Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian
IMAGE

2011