Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Ararat VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

20204

State: Victoria
Denomination: Catholic
Address:

304 Barkley Street Ararat

GPS:  -37.284382,142.938777

 

History and Architecture:

There are three St Mary’s in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley.

The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne.

In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a Mr Michael Ryan Architect of Ararat was engaged to draw up plans for a church in an Italian Villa Style. The Presbyterian was to have a frontage of 42 feet to Barkley Street. The estimated cost was £1,200.00. By 1927 the old church was demolished and the foundation stone of the new church was laid on 27 March 1927 by Bishop Foley.

Organ:

No information currently available.

Clergy*:

Explanations

1858 - 1871 Fr T. Barrett
1871 - 1880 Fr J. Hogan
1880 - 1904 Fr R. Meade
1904 - 1930 Dean P. O'Hare
1930 - 1948 Monsignor E.O. Goidanich
1948 - 1960 Monsignor J. Timmons
1960 - 1963 Monsignor J. Brophy
1964 - 1968 Monsignor L. Fiscalini
1969 - 1987 Monsignor T. O'Brien
1987 - Fr B. Davey
   
   

* The list may not contain all serving Clergy.

Contributions: 




Ararat VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic
IMAGE

2010