Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Annandale NSW- St Brendan's Catholic

10033

State: New South Wales
Denomination: Catholic
Address:

Corner Johnson and Collins Streets Annandale

GPS:

-33.883599,151.169633

 

 

History and Architecture:

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.*

A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church was of Gothic style, 100ft long by 41ft wide and from the floor to the roof 50ft.*

In October 1905 Father Rohan was able to purchase the block of land at the corner of Johnson and Collins Streets with a building included which was to become the convent.*

The Foundation stone of today’s church was laid on 11 August 1912 by the Most Reverend Dr Kelly Archbishop of Sydney. The Church was opened on 1 June 1913 by Archbishop Kelly.*

The altar of the church was hand carved in dark Oak. The high alter at first had only one spire. Three years later two smaller spires were added.*

Organ:

No information currently available.

Clergy*:

Explanations

1898 - 1948 Fr E. Rohan
1914 Fr Troy
1917 Fr W. Bonett
1918 Fr I. O'Loughlan
1920 Fr F. Dwyer
1921 - 1924 Fr E. Fitzpatrick
1926 - 1931 Fr C. Donavan
1932 - 1933 Fr Couglan
1934 - 1937 Fr P. Kerwick
1938 Fr B. Hudson
1939 Fr F. Kerrigan
1940 Fr F. Martin
1941 Fr . Wallace
1942 Fr E. Wynne
1943 - 1944 Fr J. Byrne
1945 Fr H. Ryan
1946 - 1947 Fr M. Weatherall
1948 Fr J. Keogh
1948 Fr F.M. Wetherall
1949 - 1983 Fr C. Heffernan
   
2010 - Rev John Milliken
   

* The list may not contain all serving Clergy

 

Contributions:  
Extract*: St Brendan's a Journey. The story of an Australian Catholic Parish.1898 - 1998.
Julian Porteous. STL 282.944125
Annandale NSW- St Brendan's Catholic
IMAGE

2010