Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Allora QLD - St David's Anglican

50105

State: Queensland
Denomination: St David's Anglican
Address: New England Highway Allora
GPS: -28.036048,151.988264 

 

 

History and Architecture:

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by architect J. H Buckeridge(1901) and a parish hall (1912, 1962).**

A a small timber building elevated on a short brick plinth and clad in weatherboards, with a steeply pitched, wide pan "trimdeck" roof. It is set within a large grassed site, together with the timber rectory and parish hall. The building follows traditional church planning with a central nave of six bays with an apsidal chancel at the rear end. Six windows with foiled heads line the side aisles of the building, indicating the internal bays.

Gabled projections from the northern and southern sides of the church provide an allusion of transepts and enhance the formality and scale of the building. Other notable architectural elements on the exterior of the building include a slender timber fleche located on the crossing of the roof ridges, six gabled roof vents and scalloped and pierced bargeboards.**.

Organ:

No information available

Clergy*:

Explanations

2011 - 2012

Rev D Pattison

2012 - 2013

Rev Andrew Baldwin

 

 

   

* The list may not contain all serving Clergy
** Courtesy of the Queensland Govt Environment & Resource Management Dept.

Allora QLD - St David's Anglican
IMAGE

2010