Australian Christian Church Histories

bw01.jpg bw02.jpg bw03.jpgbw04.jpg

Click on the picture to show a larger one.
Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

20282

State: Victoria
Denomination: Anglican
Address: Corner Bridport & Ferrars Streets Albert Park
GPS: -37.839886, 144.958027

History and Architecture:

First services were held in the Albert Hall, Bevan Street, then for 50 years in a wooden building on the site of the present service station. It was enlarged in stages. The present building was constructed by Melbourne church architect Louis Williams in 1925. In 1969 the Hall was incorporated into the lower part of the Church building.

St Anselm's Church began in with a wooden building on the corner of Langridge Street and Park Road Middle Park. In 1891, the Parish was formed by cutting the area from Harold Street to Fraser Street Middle Park from St Silas' parish. A brick church in Gothic style on the site was completed in 1919 by the building firm of McBain Brothers . The Foundation stone was laid on 5 December 1925 by his Excellency Lord Stonehaven Governor General.

In 2001 the Diocese decided to close St Anselm's Church and amalgamate the two Parishes. Many fine artefacts from St Anselm's including stained glass windows were incorporated into St Silas' Church, and the Parish became known as the “Anglican Parish of St Silas And St Anselm”.

Organ:

No information currently available.

Clergy*:

Explanations

PeriodClergyComment
* The list may not contain all serving Clergy.
1879 - 1909 Rev S.C. KENT  
1909 - 1940 Rev A.B. ROWED  
1940 - 1957 Rev F.E.H. TOLHURST  
1957 - 1970 Rev L.L. ELLIOTT  
1970 - 1978 Rev H.W. MCCARTNEY  
1995 - 1997 Rev H.J.L. BUTTERLEY  
2010 - Archdeacon Ray MCINNES  
Contributions:  
Extract:  
Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican
IMAGE

2010